The National Association of Field Experience Administrators Inc. (NAFEA) was formed in 2003 to represent tertiary administrators engaged in the logistical placement of students for field experiences. Although participants at the inaugural conference held in Brisbane in 2003 were primarily teacher education administrators, interest was sparked from a wide range of disciplines also managing field experience programs. The issues and problems surrounding the logistical organisation of field experience programs were echoed across all disciplines. Membership of the Association now includes administrators and academic staff from a wide range of disciplines.
The primary aims of NAFEA are:
- To facilitate an annual conference for work integrated learning (WIL) / field experience administrators;
- To provide a network and support reference point;
- To raise awareness of the role of WIL / field experience administrators;
- To lobby government and employer groups, in partnership with other collegiate societies, organisations and companies, in relation to relevant issues and policies on field placements;
- To provide opportunities and funding, such as scholarships, grants and awards, to support WIL / field experience administrators, students and industry partners; and,
- To facilitate a national forum by sharing ideas, concerns, strategies, innovations, experience and expertise.